Titus 2:3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; that they may teach the younger women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the Word of God be not blasphemed.




Monday, October 11, 2010

M.O.M.’s Mailbox- Teaching children to talk in turn

600-01717958n Question: Hello! :) I was just cleaning out a notebook and came across my notes from a conversation we had two years ago and I was so encouraged again just from reading the notes! :) Wish I could glean from your knowledge again sometime! :) Hey, I do have one question I bet you could answer without much thought- I have become aware of the fact that I have let my children interrupt and all talk at the same time and I just try to have a million conversations at once. They don't mean harm, they just haven't been trained to listen to see if someone else is talking before talking to me or even to each other. Especially at the dinner table. What are some practical ways you can train them to not interrupt?

Answer: What a great, practical question! A common statement I will make when my children begin to talk all at the same time is, “I might have two ears but I only have one mind to process it. Please take your turns so mommy can give you all her attention.”  We have discussed with the children to listen for others to be talking before they enter a room and they just start talking. We see it as an issue of esteeming others when you do this. 

I have taught the children not to ask me questions while I am on the phone or talking with someone by simply telling them that my answer will always be “no”. Since whatever they have to ask me is important to them and they would like me to be agreeable they remember real quick to wait patiently so that they might hear “yes” instead.

When children walk away or answer me when I am still speaking (thinking they already know what I am going to say) I remind them of the Proverbs that says it is a fool that answers before the person is done speaking.

When the children were little, we use to have them take turns at the table to share what was important to them. We stressed that everyone else was to listen and wait for their turn. They could ask the “speaker” questions but they couldn’t take over the conversation. Some of the children are real chatter boxes others needed daddy and mommy to ask them questions about their day, their favorite colors, favorite thing that happened that day and so forth.

So… to answer your question I guess I would just have to say that we talk about it and address it, give verbal encouragement and try to help them yet, our house is also full of life and sometimes it just hits a level of excitement where everyone has something to say at the same time. In those moments I just smile and think, “Someday I’ll miss this!”

Have a wonderful week with your babies! You are blessed!!!

With much love,
Mrs. Joseph Wood

No comments:

Post a Comment