Titus 2:3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; that they may teach the younger women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the Word of God be not blasphemed.




Thursday, July 8, 2010

M.O.M.’s Mailbox- How do I keep my teenagers heart?

Question: After reading on the blog this week I was curious what suggestions you would give that might help me keep my children’s hearts when they are teenagers. Thanks for your ministry and taking time to answer all our questions.

Answer: Keeping your child’s heart though the growing up process takes prayer, commitment and diligence. We know that with God all things are possible, we know that it is God that removes hearts of stone and gives us a heart of flesh, and we know that it is the Holy Spirit that convinces us of Truth. With those things in mind, it is important for us to diligently seek God in our role of guiding our children to the Lord. Here are some practical things that we have done in our home. I hope you find them helpful as you prayerfully consider how the Lord would have you cultivate relationships with your older children.

Invest in their dreams: In our home, we allow our children to dream their own dreams. We do all that is possible to help them achieve the goals that God has placed in their heart, even if they are very different than our own. We know that God has made each us unique and we respect that unique work in one another.

Remain lovingly consistent: From an early age my children learn that when mommy and daddy say something it is with great care and thought. We aren’t going to change our minds as the shifting of the wind should they disagree with our decision. Throughout their growing up we remain lovingly consistent in this area.  We don’t accept whining, grumbling or complaining. We do however, listen to their thoughts and take the time to share with them.

Win their hearts:  I am reminded that it is God that woes our hearts, that calls us and draw us into a personal relationship with Him. I often pray, “Lord teach me to love them as you have loved me.” As I live out that desire I am humbled for I realize how short I fall!

Having a relationship with our children is critical! Good communication and respect for Biblical authority is the key for such success. Joe and I spend a great deal of time praying for our children, reading the Scriptures to them and simply living with them discussing His Truths throughout our day. We truly enjoy being in the company of our children!

Thank you for your question. I love to hear and share with you as the Lord allows.
Mrs. Joseph Wood

No comments:

Post a Comment