Titus 2:3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; that they may teach the younger women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the Word of God be not blasphemed.




Saturday, August 29, 2009

M.O.M.'s Mailbox 8/29/09

Hello Friends!

Here are a few questions that I thought I would share with you this week! If you have a question please feel free to email me. Have a beautiful weekend as you minister faithfully to your family!

With much love,

Mrs. Joseph Wood


Question: Do you really take this much time in teaching your children?


Answer: Yes! Some days we tease that I have a revolving door to my bedroom. I am quite aware that properly training our children is not something I can do as I rush about with other things. I must stop, put aside my plans, and take as much time as needed to express Truth to my children. I learned as a young momma that the Lords timing for training was always better than my own. I need to look for what He has planned today and not simply at what I am trying to accomplish. Yes, that means that sometimes there is dust on the shelves or I am staying up late finish the laundry however, taking time to train the children can never be put off successfully.



Question: How do you train children to behave in the grocery store?


Answer: We have set aside trips to public places for the sole purpose of training. I will take my children to the grocery store with no intent on shopping; I am there to train them. I talk to them before (perhaps for several days) about my expectations while we are out in public and the importance of representing the Lord. Once we are in the store I show them 'traps' that have been set out for them and warn them against 'falling' into them. For example: Children type cereal is placed low on the shelves so that children will ask their parents for it. Candy is set at the checkout counters so that children will ask, beg and cry for it. Toys are displayed by the diapers, and the list could go on and on. I ask the children to try and find 'traps' as we walk through the store as well. We talk about our appearance and the tone of our voice while we are out. Are we smiling, walking gracefully (watching out for others), and being helpful with siblings? This has always been a fun time for the children and I; the rewards have been abundant! Take time to train your children, you won't regret it!


1 comment:

  1. Ohhhh this is very good to talk to your children about the traps that are set out for children. I have not done this and need to! The candy at the end is a source of contention at times and it can be embarrassing in front of the cashier to be "arguing" with the children :-( Putting this new perspective on the candy will be helpful! Thanks!
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete