Titus 2:3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; that they may teach the younger women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the Word of God be not blasphemed.




Thursday, November 25, 2010

A Moment in Proverbs- Proverbs 25:11

Proverbs 25:11, “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.”

I’m a visual person; the LORD has made this medium of learning the way I learn. I love to read visual images in His Word, and there are many, but I especially love this passage. Imagine with me just how this would look. Many of us are planning our holidays and decorate with colors of gold and silver, they reflect off of each other creating images within images. Many of the objects used for decorating are mirror reflective and true silver and gold are reflective. And there’s much to be said about the refiner knowing how long is long enough to refine the silver by seeing his image in the silver; but I’m asking you to think on how the words we speak look.

Are they a mass of grey and browns that have no reflection of life? Do they fall upon the ears and deafen the hearer? Do they curse instead of bless? James, the brother of Christ said this about our words. “Behold, we put bits in the horses' mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body. Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth. Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold how great a matter a little fire kindleth! And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell. For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind: But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be. Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter? Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? Either a vine, figs? So can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh (see James 3:3-12).”

Are your words those of gold reflected in silver? They can be as you study to understand His desire for your conversations with others. You can be this scriptural image to those who hear your words as you speak truth and healing from His Word.

Prayer: Father, you have given us tongues to speak of your faithfulness; let our words be seasoned with your mercy, grace and love. LORD, you desire a heart that is tender to your calling and I ask that I remain ever seeking your Word so that my words can reflect your image. Forgive me for the unlovely things I may say; Forgive me for the unlovely thought that I think; and Forgive me for anything that causes me to turn my heart from your Word. LORD, make our words reflect you as images of golden apples in pictures of silver. In Jesus’ name we pray, amen.

Abiding Still

No comments:

Post a Comment