Titus 2:3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; that they may teach the younger women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the Word of God be not blasphemed.




Thursday, November 12, 2009

M.O.M.'s Mailbox- Potty Training



Question- Can you share with me how you potty train your children? How long does potty training normally take at your house and what age do you typically train them at?

Answer- There are so many unique factors to consider before I answer this question. Let me share the process I take before I begin potty training and then some of the tips I have utilized while training.  I hope this will prove helpful for you. I love sharing with others how the Lord has led us over the years. Just remember, God equipped you to minister to the needs of your little one; He will faithfully lead you!
With much Love,
Mrs. Joseph Wood

Is my child ready to be potty trained?  Well, the real question might be, "Am I ready for my child to be potty trained?" Training our children in any manner requires that we are disciplined, consistent, loving, and cheerfully patient. I need to first order my days and life schedule so that I won't be pulled in too many directions. I want to offer all the time and energy that is needed to training my little one. After this question is answered then I ask myself if my child is ready. I look for developmental clues that tell me he/she is ready for this adventure in training or not.

Here are a few questions I ask myself: 

  • Does my child tell me with words or gestures that they need to go potty or have went potty? 
  • Is my child able to pull his/her pants down? 
  • Does my child act uncomfortable when they have soiled their diaper?
  • Is my child waking up from naps or bedtime with a dry diaper?
  • Does my child have an interest in being "big" and wearing "big" girl/boy undies?

I start talking about potty training and giving little training moments very casually before I ever dive into officially training them (talking about the toilet, letting them help me pick out 'big' girl panties, I even start telling them every time I need to go potty). I check my calendar and make sure I have a week stretch of just staying at home and working with my little one. I also make sure my little one is not dealing with sickness, teething, or a character issue that would make this training time unbearable.

Once I have decided that now is a good time for both child and myself to begin this adventure. I buy a bag of skittles (the large one) and put them in a see through jar. I then tell the little one that every time they go potty in the toilet they get one skittle. I set my oven timer to 15 minutes and EVERY 15 minutes I take them to the restroom talking about going potty. When they finally go potty, even if just a drop, I praise them and give them a candy. I make a very big deal out of it and the entire home cheers. Daddy gets a phone call, grandma gets a phone call! It's a big, BIG, deal! Then I keep taking them potty and talking about it with them every 15 minutes (when they are awake) for 1 to 2 weeks. I have never needed to train them longer than two weeks. I have trained all my children in this manner and then recently a sweet 2 year old that my daughter was baby sitting. It's worked with all of them without any tears or stressful days for either of us!

I don't expect them to not have an accident at nap time or bed time until they start waking up with a dry diaper. Some children develop slower than others. Some of my children have been potty trained in the day time and nap time however, bedtime was just too long of a stretch for them. In those situations, I try to wake a 1/2 hour earlier and see if that doesn't help them. If they still have wet diapers in the morning. I just keep talking to them about it and eventually they develop and no longer need the diaper at night time.

Potty training should be like all other training at our home and requires that I remain gentle and understanding that this is all new to my little one. They weren't born with a desire to use the potty. It is my job to show them the benefits of doing so in a loving, cheerful, consistent and patient manner!

Potty training should NEVER include: 

  • Guilt
  • Shame
  • Anger
  • Pain

You asked, " How long does potty training normally take at your house?"  Potty training typically takes 2 weeks to a month to be complete yet, some of my children have learned in a day and never had an accident after their first day of training.

You asked, "what age do you typically train them at?" I would say 18 months to 2 1/2 years old was the most common time I was training a child. I found that if I waited too long after they showed the developmental signs of being 'ready' it was actually harder to train them. Don't ask me why- I don't know- I just know that in my observations that is what I have witnessed.

I hope that by sharing what I have done in my home it is helpful as you minister faithfully to your own family! Take a deep breath, give this matter to prayer and then faithfully do as He leads you! You are blessed!!

Because of His Love,
Mrs. Joseph Wood

2 comments:

  1. I wish you had been around when my girls were little. See you on Facebook!

    Blessings from Ohio...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article. I'm about to start my 7th child in the training process and this has been basically how I've always done it.

    Last time around all the older kids knew they could get a some candy if they put their brother on the potty too. He trained faster than anyone because of all the extra attention:)

    ReplyDelete