Titus 2:3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; that they may teach the younger women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the Word of God be not blasphemed.




Friday, September 4, 2009

A Moment in M.O.M.'s Kitchen- Venison Stew

Hello Friends!
Welcome to a moment in my kitchen! A few days ago we made a pot of Venison Stew with homemade cornbread as a surprise for my Joe! I wanted to share how easy this was. Please note that I don't measure things in the kitchen. I often am just using what we have on hand that needs to be used before it expires. I will give you 'guesstimates' use your own discretion. You know the desires of your family and can make this a dish that everyone will love!


5 lbs of Venison
Coconut oil
2 large cans of tomato sauce
4 cans of mixed vegetables
20 pealed and diced potatoes.
garlic to taste
salt to taste
flour
water


Preparing my venison:
The children found a large, forgotten bag of venison in the freezer the other day. I would guess that it was 5lbs of meat. I thawed it out in the refrigerator for a day then placed it in raw goat milk for a few hours draining off the excess as needed. I took a good healthy dose of coconut oil (2 TBS) and heated it up in my cast iron skillet. Once my skillet was hot I browned all my meat.


Preparing the stew:
You'll need a large stew pot (I used my 8qt pot). Remember, we have a large family and I am cooking for some hungry boys! Pour your cans of tomato sauce, vegetables, and all your pealed potatoes into the pot. Add a good portion of garlic I would guess that I added a little less than 1/4 cup. Yes! We do love garlic! I also added some salt but not too much. I don't want the salt to bring out any 'wild' flavors of the meet. Continue browning your meat and adding to your stew pot until complete.


Once all the ingredients are in the pot. Add water if there is any extra room.Cover the stew and let it cook over low heat for four hours. At that time you may want to add a some flour to thicken your stew prior to serving.


Keep in mind this could have been made with fresh vegetables and tomatoes pureed from the garden. However, at this time I was short on time and needed to get this pot stewing quickly!


Yummy Cornbread Wood Family Style:
2 Cups Bisquick
1 Cup Fresh ground Corn (I simply use popcorn and grind in my wheat grinder)
1 Cup Raw goat milk
1 Cup melted butter
1 Cup of white sugar


Mix all ingredients together till smooth then place in a 9X13 pan and bake at 350 until golden brown!
Enjoy and come back and share your venison recipes with me. I love learning from others in the Kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment