Titus 2:3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; that they may teach the younger women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the Word of God be not blasphemed.




Friday, August 14, 2009

A Moment in Proverbs 8/14/09

Proverbs 14: 1

Every wise woman buildeth her house; but the foolish plucketh it down with her hands.


How do you build your house up? How do you tear it down? Did you notice that we are doing one or the other, there is no in-between? I remember years ago when the Lord used this passage to speak to me about the foods I was feeding to my children. As I was walking toward the table with processed food (something I did often!) when this passage rang loudly in my ears. The interesting thought is that I had not read or heard it recently. In fact when it came to mind I was questioning myself as to what part of the Scriptures it came from. I began conversing with the Lord through silent prayer and continued serving my family. As I prayed I considered the ways that I might be that foolish woman plucking down my own household. Life is hard enough, winning the hearts of our children is already a battle, I don’t’ need to add my foolishness to the situation! I really wanted to change if this was truly the Lords voice. Could nutrition really be that important to Him? As the weeks progressed after this event, my husband and I both felt like family meals and nutrition was something I could do better on. Not to say we don’t still eat processed food from time to time however, now we don’t eat them on a regular basis like we did before.


There have been many other foolish things I have done. Yet, the Lord is faithful! He will complete the good work He has begun in each of us if we keep our hearts humble before Him. The Father is always gracious to reveal Truth to me in His timing and equip me to overcome my sin and weakness. May He always give me ears to hear His voice! Let us each consider: At this very moment, “Am I building my family up or tearing them down?”

By His Grace and for His Glory,

Mrs. Joseph Wood

1 comment:

  1. Oh I love this verse and it's one I have blogged about several times too!!! One way I see it applied in my home is with my words - I can either build my family up with encouragement or tear them down with criticism. I have been working on gentleness for months now and I see a HUGE difference in our home as I control my tongue - and avoid harsh critical words! There's just so much more cheerfulness :-) me included!!!

    ReplyDelete