Titus 2:3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; that they may teach the younger women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the Word of God be not blasphemed.




Saturday, July 18, 2009

M.O.M.'s Mailbox 7/18/09

I am up late waiting for my Joe's arrival home and answering questions from my inbox. If you have a question you would like to ask me please do so by sending a note to the email on our profile page. Not all questions are posted however, I will reply to each of them! Have a wonderful week ladies!


Both of our questions this week deal with literature. Enjoy!

Question: I have been searching for a bible study or devotional book to go through with (my daughter). Just a quiet time for her and I. I have NOT been able to come across a book that I like. Everything seems to focus on worldly issues... boys, dating, ect..... I want us to be digging into the word, not that I am avoiding those issues, I just don't want it to be the focus of our quiet time/prayer time. Do you have any book ideas for me?

Answer: Quiet times with our girls are so important!! We have special memories of the chats, giggles and growing that happens when we study the Word together! I am not sure how old your sweet girl is. I have listed some of our family favorites. Some won't apply if she is young and others may not be the right book for this Season of her life. Nonetheless, I thought I would give you a variety for your reference. I would love to hear what book you finally decide on.


Some of our favorites are:
Polished Cornerstones (this might really be what you are looking for full of activities while you learn the Scriptures!
Ruby Doll- bible study while you make a doll and her family
In my Fathers House
Raising Handmaidens of Virtue
Daughters of Destiny
Feminine by Design
Return of the Daughters (DVD)
Dear Princess
How to be a lady
Young woman after God's own Heart
So Much More
Waiting for your Prince Charming

Do these suggestions help? If you asked me to pick one item off this list and my daughter was 12 or younger it would be without a doubt the Ruby doll!

Another reader writes:

Question: How do you feel about reading fairy tales? Recently I have started to rethink the fairy tale part of our curriculum. Can you briefly share what you do?

Answer: Let me first say that I really feel issues like this are unique from family to family. If you are feeling uncomfortable with the fairy tales you are reading, or any book for that matter, I would encourage you to prayerfully consider if that might be the Holy Spirit prompting you to take heed. We have even researched the authors to see if they lived the lives I would want my children learning from. The Wood family loves to read! We prefer books of historical interest and character building and very few fairy tales have ever been read in our home.

With much love,

Mrs. Joseph Wood


No comments:

Post a Comment