Titus 2:3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; that they may teach the younger women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the Word of God be not blasphemed.




Thursday, July 2, 2009

A Moment of Training 7/02/09

Today's Training Moment goes with our Proverbs. It is a smiple activity that we have done in our home on many occasions. Enjoy!

We must teach our children to search for wisdom just as if they were searching for gold!

Do your children know how to read the Bible? Do they know the books of the Bible? Who wrote them and when? Can they tell you the Ten Commandments? Their purpose? What about the days of creation, the fruit of the spirit, the armor of God and the beatitudes? These are just a few of questions the Wood family goes through on a weekly if not daily basis. What about Bible Study tools, do your children know how to use a concordance and commentary? If you personally don't understand these, jot me an email and I would be more than happy to help you. You aren't alone! I can think of two women, just this last week, that asked me how to use these tools.

To help my children understand the value and really examine themselves regarding this Truth of seeking Wisdom I have often done the following:

"Children, if I were to tell you that there was gold on our property what would you do?"

"SEARCH FOR IT!" they replied

"Really? Are you sure?" I question. Then some of the children start telling me what tools they will use and where they are going to look and I just keep listening curiously.

"Hmm... well, then why don't I see you searching for Wisdom like you tell me you would search for gold? Gold is temporary and as lovely as it may be to have some it's nothing in comparison to Wisdom."

Many of the children were quiet... faces showed deep thought as they considered, "What do my actions say I believe?"

I have also done the following:

During your daily Bible study consider having children look up words in the concordance and dictionary. Take time to ask them questions about the Scriptures and what they mean perhaps you will even want to look in your commentary and see what those notes have to say.

To help the younger children learn to seek out Wisdom, I have written on yellow or gold paper "bits of wisdom" to help them do what is right. I would suggest you write the seven things God hates as well as what He loves. One item on each card and discuss them as they find them throughout the day. Don't dedicate time for them to go search for them. Tell them to search for them as they live, as they do their chores, as they go about their regular activities.

Supplies we use:

Yellow or Gold paper

Strongs Concordance

Matthew Henry Commentary

Noah Webster 1828 Dictionary

Judy Rogers- Teach me while my heart is tender CD (song for the seven things God hates)

Scriptures:

7 things God hates- Proverbs 6:16-19

What God loves- Psalm 45:7

To please God- Hebrews 11:16

God gives grace to: James 4: 6, 1 Peter 5:5

There are so many more Scriptures I could share but time won't allow today! May the Lord fill your homes with grace as you seek Wisdom!

With much love,

Mrs. Joseph Wood


1 comment: