Titus 2:3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; that they may teach the younger women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the Word of God be not blasphemed.




Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A Random Moment with Beth – A Journey through the Scriptures

Q.

Why is it so important that I bridle my tongue when others get to say whatever they want?

A.

This is a question I had a hard time answering for myself. I knew it was the right thing to do but I still wanted to know why anyways so into the Scriptures I went!

Today, I will share with just a few of the places I found my answers. First is James (one of my favorite books of the Bible). In James 1:26

If anyone among you seem religious but bridleth not his tongue, but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is vain.”

Being a horse person I understood what James was talking about when he used the word “bridle”. When you put a bridle in the horse’s mouth, you can turn about it’s whole body. When we bridle our tongues, we change the way we speak and also the way we treat others.

In verses 5 and 6 or chapter 3 of James and also 8-9 and 10 James is speaking to the church (in his letter he refers to them as brethren and sisters) and speaking of how dangerous a tongue, unbridled is. He says to them “ the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity.” And also “ the tongue no one can tame, it is unruly, evil and full of deadly poison.”

It sounds to me like the tongue sure is a dangerous thing when we let it and our thoughts run loose. What do you think would happen if we just it run wild? Not any good. That is for sure!

The Matthew Henry Commentary is a great help in understanding these passages of scripture. If you have one available to you , I would suggest using it in your daily Bible study or for at least helping understand Scriptures.

Now I have answered the reason why we shouldn’t let our tongues run wild…but what about when what you have to say is true but your parents still have told you not to say it. If it’s true then why can’t we just come out and say it?

I find this answer is Ecclesiastes 3:1 “to everything there is a season, a time to every purpose under Heaven.”

There is a time for us to speak what God has laid on our hearts and there is a time to be quite and wait for God and wait for His okay before going forward and speaking to the person about whatever it is that is on your heart. Sometimes we have the okay to speak right away and other times we have to wait weeks, months or even years before we can speak to the person and that’s good. As long as we are doing what God wants us to do then everything else will work out.

Its always a good idea to talk with your parents too if you are not sure how to reply to a email or talk with someone. God put them in authority over you to protect and guide you and it is your duty to trust that. It always a good idea to get your parents input.

I hope each of you have enjoyed this time we spent “together” and thanks again for accompanying me on yet another Journey through the Scriptures!

Until His return,

Beth Joy

If you ever have questions about something that I have shared, feel free to email me at missbethwood@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment