Titus 2:3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; that they may teach the younger women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the Word of God be not blasphemed.




Friday, March 4, 2011

A Moment In Proverbs: Proverbs 4:18

Proverbs 4: 18,
“But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shines more and more unto the perfect day.”

I just read about someone struggling with sin and it made me think about how sin has a way of making it feel like we’re walking in darkness.  In fact, the next verse tells us that the way of the wicked is like deep darkness and those who walk in that way don’t know what makes them stumble.  Isn’t that just like sin?  We commit the sin and then wonder, why in the world did I do that!?!  We grope around and wonder how did I fall to that temptation and how can I avoid it in the future?

But when we repent of our sin, there is a feeling of relief, a lifting of our burden.  It is like verse 18 says, it is as the shining light! 

You know, my friends; there are no small or insignificant sins.  Each sin is wicked, no matter how much value we place on it.  God cannot look upon sin for He is Holy (Psalms 99:4-6).  But He is ready to forgive us of our sins and He is able to cleanse us from all of our unrighteousness if only we come to Him and confess with a humble heart (Philippians 3:20-21; 2Timothy 1:11-13; Hebrews 2:17-18 and Hebrews 7:24-26).

As I opened this devotion today, the question was asked, “How can I avoid it (sin) in the future?”  Abide in Christ is the answer.  Cling to His Word and if you fall to sin because of your flesh; make short accounts, don’t let it go for hours, days, week, months or years before you confess.  Paul wrote, and this is a paraphrase of what he said, So the trouble is not with the law, for it is spiritual and good. The trouble is with me, for I am all too human, a slave to sin. I don’t really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don’t do it. Instead, I do what I hate. But if I know that what I am doing is wrong, this shows that I agree that the law is good. So I am not the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it. And I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. I want to do what is right, but I can’t. I want to do what is good, but I don’t. I don’t want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway. But if I do what I don’t want to do, I am not really the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it. I have discovered this principle of life—that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong. I love God’s law with all my heart. But there is another power within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death? Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our LORD. So you see how it is: In my mind I really want to obey God’s law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin (See Romans Chapter 7).

Paul is not excusing us for being human, He is not saying sin anyway, but what he is saying is that Jesus our LORD can free us from our sin.  We need only ask Him and seek Him moment by moment and we too will find the path as the shining light.

Prayer: Father, when we fall to sin, because we were not seeking your Word or depending on your grace and mercy to resist our enemy, forgive us.  Help us to keep short accounts and restore us as we come to you.  The shame and burden grows heavier each day we live without your forgiveness.  Teach us from your Word what those sins are in our lives that keep us from walking in the light you would have us to walk.  LORD, thank you for your mercy; thank you for your saving grace; and thank you for your longsuffering and your gentle spirit.  We praise you for being our friend, our Savior and our King.  In Jesus’ name we pray, amen.

Abiding Still,

Connie Renfro ©

No comments:

Post a Comment