Titus 2:3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; that they may teach the younger women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the Word of God be not blasphemed.




Friday, December 17, 2010

A Moment in Proverbs- Proverbs 17: 7

Proverbs 17:7 Excellent speech becometh not a fool: much less do lying lips a prince.

This week have talked about the tongue and the speech that proceeds from our mouth. I have enjoyed the topic and conversation that this study has provided. Today, I was pondering this passage here in verse 7. One of the thoughts that came to mind was my thankfulness for my children that tell the Truth. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had children lie to me. However, with careful attention, watchful and purposeful training I have seen the Lord establish Truth in my children’s hearts. We must teach our children that we are royalty for we are children of the King of Kings! I am reminding my children often saying, “a princess wouldn’t conduct herself this way or that way..” or “remember you’re a prince born spiritually of noble birth. There is a high standard set before you do not follow the standard of our culture.” Lying lips are taught to the children as one of the seven things that God hates as well as unbecoming for “the princess and prince”. Telling the truth is critical for our relationship with others and with our Lord. Telling the truth only when it is easy or there is no fear of consequences is not telling the truth at all. Teaching our children to tell the truth even when they are afraid is critical. This last week, I was hurt when a child told me the truth about some of their actions yet, in the same token rejoiced in my heart that God had given them the courage to tell me the truth- even when they knew it would hurt me and cause them to reap the consequences of their actions. This child knew (from hearing it since they were tiny) that it would be much better to be known as someone who struggled, failed, or made wrong choices than to be known as a liar! The righteous may fall seven times but they will get back up again! Let us not neglect the patient and sometimes investigative work we need to do as parents to help train our children as truth tellers!

Lying lips are not for the Kings people!

With much love,

Mrs. Joseph Wood

1 comment:

  1. I could really use some advice; my son lies to me about things that I really don't understand. For example he'll tell me he went potty before bed when I know he hasn't and when I try to explain that it is a lie and that we don't do that he gets really upset and tells me that it is not a lie (and I did my homework to make sure I was right before I told him he was lying). When I was a child I lied to get out of trouble but he lies about things that wouldn't matter one way or the other. I'm not sure he understands what a lie is and I don't know how to explain it other than to tell him 'you said you did (---) but you didn't, that is a lie' Any advice is appreciated and I am grateful for the technology that allows people to come together in such a way!

    ReplyDelete