Titus 2:3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; that they may teach the younger women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the Word of God be not blasphemed.




Thursday, October 7, 2010

M.O.M.’s Mailbox- Contentment

Question: Thanks for the thankful post answering my questions. I requested a  catalog from doorpost, is that how I will find the publication you talked about? Also, I think you are so right about pride and contentment, how do you teach contentment? I would love to have my girls and I spend a week with you and your family, I know we would learn so much! :)

Answer: It’s great to hear from you again. Yes, Doorposts is the company that has For Instruction in Righteousness. A wonderful resource for training our children in the Lord. By the way, if you are ever in our part of the country let us know. We love to open our home to the Body and enjoy friendship visits!

Regarding Contentment:

In our home, we teach contentment from an early age in simple ways just by not saying yes to every request. Teaching them to be content with what they have. When I have a child that asks for multiple things (don't know if you've had this happen before but it happens from time to time here in my house) I will bring their attention to it and say, "You know you need to focus on what you have instead of what you don't have."  I will often say "no" to the children to teach them how to accept that answer with grace. As a momma I love to say yes to my children and give them everything that I have within my power to give them however, I have learned that is not wise. I need to teach them to be content with what they have, to teach them they've been bought with a price they are not their own, to teach them to wait on the Lord for things and bring their requests to Him. There is a beauty that grows inside of a child that is trained to be content. They have a peace that blossoms, it is a beautiful thing!!


When training children in contentment watch for pride, envy, and jealousy. If you see these traits address them and it will help you as you are teaching contentment. For example, teaching children not to envy what their friends have can be with simply bringing their attention to it and telling them of the error in doing so. You can teach them the 10 commandments and then also talk about real life examples that have happened where people fall into debt by trying to have things that God had not given them. Remind them that when the Lord gives us riches He adds no sorrow with it. (Proverbs 10: 22 The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich, and He addeth no sorrow with it.) 


Here are some passages that speak of contentment:
Philippians 4: 11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content


1 Timothy 6:8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content


Hebrews 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for He hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.


May God give us the wisdom and courage to train our children to be content!
With much love,
Mrs. Joseph Wood

No comments:

Post a Comment