Titus 2:3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; that they may teach the younger women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the Word of God be not blasphemed.




Tuesday, August 10, 2010

M.O.M.’s Mailbox- Coconut oil and nap time

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         Question: Thank you for posting this recipe! I haven't gotten a chance to try it because I wanted to wait until I bought Coconut Oil. I did wonder why you use it? I glanced at the back and compared it to vegetable oil and it didn't seem to be better? Maybe I wasn't looking at the right kind? Also, I wanted to ask you another question about babies/children and bedtime, but I wasn't sure how to ask you without doing it like this? I am just curious how you handle putting your babies/toddlers down for nap or bedtime.
Thanks for all of your wise words and encouragement, I look forward to reading your blog everyday!

Answer: Hello and thank you for your sweet words! I would love to hear how you enjoy the bread so please do keep me posted. Thank you for pointing out that I didn’t have the email link on our main page. I have added a “mailbox” to make it easier for people to write. I appreciate everyone’s suggestions and feedback! If you would like to learn more about the coconut oil, I would encourage you to read the FAQ page at Tropical Traditions (this is where I buy my coconut oil from).  Unlike other oil, coconut oil has numerous health benefits. It has antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties. I have used it as the main source of oil in our home for the last three years. Our family health has greatly improved. When illness is going around, our family doesn’t get sick most of the time. If we do get ill it will only last for 24hours sometimes 36 but it’s never been longer than that! I could share countless testimonies from ulcers that I no longer deal with, deep wounds that have been treated with coconut oil successfully, and even pink eye in my cows has been treated with great success! Just let me know if you have more questions and I will share as the Lord leads.

You also asked how I handle putting my babies down at nap and bedtime. I am sharing what works for my husband and I personally. I don’t think that “our way” is the only way for everyone. It’s just how the Lord has led us and what has worked beautifully in our home. I have always figured that if baby slept, the Lord knew that I needed rest too so we could take naps together. Sometimes I wake before they do and sneak away to get some cleaning done. We have always slept in bed with our children. Even our adopted children have enjoyed this bonding time. As they grew older they just didn’t want to sleep with us anymore and moved onto their own beds. There was never a fight, conflict, or power struggle. They simply grew up and naturally moved into their own beds. As they get bigger in size we’ve asked that they sleep on a cot next to our bed instead of in the bed. They never fuss about it yet, they are never denied in the middle of the night when they just naturally crawl up and cuddle in bed with us. As for how long they slept with us…. well each child was different. Some moved to their own beds when they were five or six, others were ten. Thinking back I can’t remember any of the children being older than ten. I have some of my most precious memories with my babies in the morning. I have one that has loved to “play” with my hair every morning as he wakes up. Another that loves to whisper questions of “why” before he falls asleep, another that always wanted me to rub my fingers across her arm as she cuddled something soft and silky. Yes, we’ve also had the nights of interrupted sleep as a little one kicks us in the kidney, back aches from hanging off the bed, and other such trials. However, I find any drawback to what we have done to be worth all the memories, love, and moments we have shared as a family! My children are secure, loving, and have grown to be tender hearted adults that know they have an interactive relationship with their parents. Would they have been such children without this method of parenting? I can only guess. I know many children who never slept in bed with their parents and they are WONDERFUL people! I realize that this subject is a very personal decision that is unique in each home.

I hope that my sharing helps. Pray about it, God will lead you perfectly. If you feel led to share I would LOVE to hear!

With much love,

Mrs. Joseph Wood

BTW, the photo with this post is of my littlest blessing, Matthew, when he was only 3 months old. He is now six years old and doing second grade work. Wow, time sure flies! Oh! and just for the stats: He only sleeps in bed with us in the morning when he gets up and isn’t ready to start the day (not everyday just some mornings). He hasn’t started the night out in our bed or on the cot for quite awhile yet, we do still spend a nap time every now and then together! Precious memories…

No comments:

Post a Comment