Titus 2:3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; that they may teach the younger women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the Word of God be not blasphemed.




Saturday, May 8, 2010

Real Moments- Day 1

funny-scale Well, yesterday was a day of collecting data, facing the ugly truth and then learning… lots of learning! The entire family has decided they want to join me on this journey and learn to make better choices. Ezekiel told me, “Mom I think the person that made weight watchers should be told thank you. Because of their hard work now we are going to know how to make better choices.” I think that has been the eye opener for all of us. The weight watchers online program is fairly easy to navigate. However, I wish they had a toolbar. I feel I have to hit to many buttons to get where I want to go. As a family we have sat around reading the helpful tips and program details yet, we still have much more to read. The points tracker was truly eye opening. I discovered I could have my morning coffee if I wanted. I found my evening meal had many ‘no point’ items in the recipe. That was fun and encouraged us to find more such recipes. We got the feeling we could eat for “free”. Jed was right there to remind us that enough of anything will eventually add up so keep our portions in mind. Oh, the voice of reason! Just as I was getting ready to indulge in the entire pot!

Bekah ran to the store to purchase the scale for me. I normally don’t keep a scale in the house. I despise them with a passion. Joe says I break them till they tell me what I wanted to hear. He’s not far off from the truth. Everyone was weighed and measured. I think I was the only one that got on the scale and said, “let’s just close our eyes seeing the scale is way over rated.” Of course I was last to weigh. As if somehow I needed to see that it weighed 11 other people accurately and could possibly give me an accurate weight too. Most of the children have gained weight since we’ve been here so I knew it wasn’t going to be pretty for me. I wasn’t far off from where I thought I was. In the last two years of living in KS I have gained 46.6lbs. Losing that extra weight is my goal It will put me on the low side of my weight range but somehow that makes me feel safer when I am on that side and not the “up” side. I guess I have this mental image of weight dragons (aka: home baked goodies) that hide and wait for me so they might take me to the ‘dark side’. Something has to be done about all this! So, that’s what I’m doing! I read from a friend today, I forget who sent me the note, they said that they had read a book that said, “being fat may not be your fault but staying fat is.” I’ve pondered that today. I’ve never thought of myself as fat.. just fluffy. I guess I’m just trying to make it sound nicer than it is. It’s time to just be real.

Is there any other mother/daughters that would like to join us? Bekah suggested that if you did and had text we could text each other through the journey. Just let me know.

So, here’s my goals for this weight loss journey:

Feel more energetic and just generally healthy!

Develop some healthy habits for self control

Learn to make the choices that are best for my health and not just my appetite.

Lose 46.6 lbs

Get back into my size 6/8 skirts

I want to take my measurements but still need to find the soft measuring tape. Joes construction tape measure doesn’t bend with my rolls like it should… it prefers straight lines. :-)

With love,

Mrs. Joseph Wood

3 comments:

  1. I am working on becoming more fit, with any weight loss being a happy side effect. The older children and I are using a free-ish exercise program on the web. It's called Marine Style Fitness. I have just completed the first week of the free beginner workout and lost 3 pounds! I'll share my progress now and again if you keep sharing yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome Frankie!!! I am going to go check out the program you mention right now. I would LOVE to hear of your progress and of course I will share mine too! :-) The girls are sitting here with me as we read the blog and visited your site. They said, "momma with all that yummy food she cooks all the time it would be really hard to lose weight!" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want join in supporting other on healthy choices. My husband & I just reached our goal weight set by a dr with a weight loss program. We both would like to lose 10 more pounds and maintain our health program. I have lost 43# in about 4 months and will need to continue to focus to maintain that. But man I feel better. Please include me in texting and I will send support too.

    ReplyDelete