Titus 2:3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; that they may teach the younger women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the Word of God be not blasphemed.




Wednesday, April 21, 2010

M.O.M.’s Mailbox- How do you do it all?

lake_district_life_001_470x332 Question: How do you do it all? Thinking about what you accomplish puts me in a whirlwind. We haven't decided yet on chickens. So, where would one begin who already feels overwhelmed, intimidated, and unknowledgeable in all of this "simple life." Would love to be the ultimate organic healthy meal chef where does one begin in this undertaking. I love to juice. The kids snack on raw fruits and veggies. Prepare homemade dinners, though lunches are often sandwiches or leftovers, and breakfast? Well, we won't go there.
Thanks for your advice--looking forward to reading the answers.

Answer: Kathy, I think that’s more than one question! :-) First of all, let me say I don’t do it “all”! I have lots and lots of helpful hands! In fact, I just posted on this very thing last week. You can read my answer here: http://amomentwithmom.blogspot.com/2010/04/moment-in-training-every-childs-talent.html

I want to add a few notes though that might help you develop a strategy for success in your own home. I hope you find them helpful!

  1. PRAY! Don’t take on anything that you are not confident the Lord is leading you to do. His burden is easy and His yoke is light. He will show you the direction He has for your family and the right season to take on new things! He is faithful like that!!
  2. TAKE BABY STEPS! If you feel the Lord is asking you to make some changes in your lifestyle start slowly. Chickens is a great place to start as first on the farm. Keep in mind that living the “simple life” means devoting yourself to learning. You’ll never know it all. Just keep learning along the way. I would like to say that you can learn all you need from a book but that wouldn’t be truthful. While there are many helpful resources most of the “simple life” learning comes from hands on doing.
  3. GET EVERYONE INVOLVED! I remember when I was able to set the table with everything being from our efforts in the garden or on the farm. What a delight that is! I also learned that it is the reward of much hard work and patience!  I would start by taking one meal a day and changing it over to the healthy choices you are wanting. Have the children help you plan your menu with these changes in mind. Have them help with shopping for healthier choices and even have them help prepare the meals. When you experiment and find a new dish that your family enjoys, add it to a separate list so you can have them as repeat meals.

NOTE: I was a spoiled city girl with no hands on experience in “simple living”. I didn’t know how to grow a garden. I was a terrible cook and I had never owned any type of animal other than a dog and cat. So, if I be successful in this lifestyle anyone can be!! When you’re ready, just email me and I will help you bake bread, make cheese, or whatever else you are working on. I would love to help you like that!

With Much Love,

Mrs. Joseph Wood

P.S. Tomorrow, I am going to be answering another question about meals. I will share many recipes in my reply that you might enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for your reply. Yes, taking it one step at a time is the answer. I am also finding the freedom to be me--finding out who that is. At 40 you would think that would be easy. Too often, I read what wonderful things a godly lady is doing in her home with her family and I think well--I should do that. Thank you for your help. These are my firsts that I want to start: we just got a dog (Aussie); I want to start a very small vegetable garden; and would like to learn how to make bread--does it count if I use a bread maker:)?
    Love your writings and your inspiration and wisdom.

    Finding freedom in who I am suppose to be,
    Kathy Privitera
    Mother of 3 active boys waiting for a little girl

    ReplyDelete