Titus 2:3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; that they may teach the younger women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the Word of God be not blasphemed.




Thursday, March 11, 2010

A Moment with M.O.M.- A quest for knowledge...

This was a lesson I shared with a few weeks back with a group of women. I thought it could bless others too. Enjoy!
With much love,
Mrs. Joseph Wood

The Scriptures tell us that the Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Knowledge. Yet, somehow we search for it in a million other places. I remember years ago, when the Lord convicted me about my search for knowledge. I love learning! I wasn’t learning anything “bad” why did I feel the Lord correcting me? I knew He was speaking to me about the countless hours I poured over this book or that book. I heard Him correct me about my attitude toward my husband in “thinking I knew more than he did.” Yet, it was still unclear to me until one day when the Lord opened my eyes to see something I had never seen in the Scriptures before. Today, I share with you from that life lesson learned through the testimony of our Sister, Eve.


1. Satan realizes that each of us has a God created desire for Knowledge and tempts us to settle for a counterfeit.

Satan is always distorting the Truth and attempting to cause doubt in what God has commanded of us. Gen. 3:1. The first part of Proverbs 1: 7 tells us: The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge. Did you no-tice that? True Knowledge only comes from a personal relationship with God. Yet, as a people, we desire knowledge without the relationship. Relationships take time and we want to know it  "all" and fast! Eve was no different.

2. Temptations often appeals to the senses.

Gen. 3: 6 tells us that Eve saw the tree was good for food, that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be de-sired to be "wise". Satan uses our senses to cloud our judgment. This is normally my first "clue" that I am being tempted to sin, when I start to consider the way things “look” instead of listening to what the voice of God says!

3. No amount of reasoning will ever make disobedience good in the sight of God.

Just like Eve, we often try to reason why our sin is not sin. We try to make reasons for our disobedience to God’s Word; however, no amount of reasoning will ever make disobedience acceptable in the sight of God. I cannot count the times I have heard women say, “My husband just isn’t where I am Spiritually.” or “I went to this convention or read this book but my husband wasn’t there so he just doesn’t understand how our home needs to change.” Just as Eve was fashioned perfectly to meet Adams needs so you were created for your husband’s! Do not let the enemy cause division between you and your husband with your desire to be “wise”.

4. In our quest for Knowledge we hinder our relationship with our husband and God.

Because of Eve’s decision to seek out knowledge apart from her relationship with God she caused harm to both relationships. We, too, hinder our relationship with God when we pour over “good” books written by “good” authors about “good topics” while we fail to spend time in a relationship with Him where we receive True Knowledge. We also cause error in our relationships with our husbands. I know that I have led my husband astray from what he knew was right because of my "knowledge" in a matter. I have convinced him to believe in what I offered as “truth” instead of directing Him to listen to the Voice of God. I know I have caused my family to bear unnecessary burdens because this book or this speaker said we should be doing such and such. How desperately sorry I have been afterwards; it has never ended positively.

5. Like Eve we need to admit our sin and repent.

When the Lord asked Eve what she had done she stated clearly that she had been deceived and did sin. We too need to be honest with ourselves and God. We need to clearly admit when we have been deceived to believe a lie from the enemy. We must resist the pride that wants to ignore or excuse our sin.

Gaining true Knowledge and Wisdom comes only from a personal relationship with God. It comes from an attitude of Holy awe toward the Lord and His ways. Proverbs 2: 1 tells us that we can only get Wisdom and Knowledge when we hide up His commands within us. Knowledge comes from rejecting all the things that “look” good and listening to what IS good. Let us each be on guard as we seek after wisdom. May we each keep our hearts directed toward His Voice and obeying His commands.

Bible Reading


Pro 2:1-4 My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee; So that thou in-cline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understand-ing; Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding; If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures; Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God.

Proverbs 1: 7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of Knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Proverbs 2: 2 so that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding

Psalm 34: 8 O taste of the Lord and see that He is good.; blessed is the man that trusteth in Him.

1 Cor. 1:19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise and will bring to nothing the understand-ing of the prudent.

Proverbs 2: 6 For the Lord giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.

Proverbs 9:10 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the Holy is understanding.

Proverbs 16:9 A man’s heart deviseth his way: but the Lord directeth his steps.


Questions to Ponder

Do I seek after knowledge in other places than my relationship with the Lord?

Do I feel as if I know more than my husband?

Do I read books more than I read the Word of God?

Do I allow my search to be „wise‟ to cause division in my relationship with my husband?

How can I encourage others to seek the Lord instead of things that just look good?

Do my actions teach my children that a relationship with God is more vital than their progress in school?

Do I follow after what I see instead of the Lord’s commands?



Lord, keep us from seeking “knowledge” in all the wrong places. Cause us to wait patiently for your direction as we continue in our relationship with you. Let us not grow anxious for any good thing, even for our quest of Knowledge and Wisdom. Lord, forgive us for our pride, our sin and the countless times we have chosen to believe the lies of what we see instead of the Truth in your Word. In Jesus Name we pray… amen!

1 comment:

  1. While I love my books and Titus 2 women you are so right! Ultimately - I must be seeking all wisdom to come from God - who gives gererously when we ask! EXCELLENT - thank you!
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete