Titus 2:3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; that they may teach the younger women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the Word of God be not blasphemed.




Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A Moment of Training- Cultivating Thankfulness

This training moment actually took place at my home this weekend. My littlest one was having a difficult time not complaining. He was focusing on what He wanted instead of all that God had given him. After a time of conversation and helping him name six things he could be thankful for  he went about his day. Each time he would ask me for a snack or to do something he desired. I would ask him, "Can you tell me something you are thankful for?" He would then name something that he was truly thankful for. When we started out he was challenged to think of things to be thankful for because he was focused on what he didn't have. By the end of the day he would smile and name something he was thankful for and then skip away. Setting his attention on all that God has given him lightened his burden and cultivated an attitude of thanksgiving! I was blessed to watch the transformation take place before my eyes- I always am!

I might have this little exercise, training moment, go on for a few days. We will see how the Lord leads.
When you see an attitude in your child that does not honor the Lord, help them to develop the opposite trait that is God Honoring.

Here are just a few ideas we have done over the years:

Pride- esteem others better than yourself. Have children serve one another. Give them some creative ideas.. like doing the other child's chores. Or playing with a sibling instead of doing something they wanted.

Discontent- Give Thanks

Unkind words- have everyone go around the table and say something kind about the person next to them.

1 comment:

  1. I am really enjoying your blogs. Thank you so much for sharing! I actually used this concept of "naming 5 things you are thankful for" this morning. It did quickly change the ugly attitude my daughter was showing. It works on us adults too. :)

    ReplyDelete