Titus 2:3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; that they may teach the younger women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the Word of God be not blasphemed.




Thursday, February 25, 2010

A Moment of Training- Obedience vs Sacrafice

A Moment in Training- Obedience is better than Sacrifice


I have found this training moment easily learned by my children. I believe it hits home in such a real way that they can understand the Biblical principles easily. 1 Samuel 15:22 tell us that obedience is better than sacrifice. How do we teach this to our children at a young age? In our home, it is not uncommon for a child to bring my Joe or me a handmade card or gift. They will make precious, creative, gifts out of extra lumber, craft supplies or whatever else they find. The smiles on their face as they hand me these treasures are just precious! We “ooh” and “awe” give hugs and kisses and really make a fuss over every gift they bring us. However, when we have a child that is struggling in immediate and cheerful obedience we begin talking about, sharing Scriptures on how the Lord desires us to obey when the time is finally right we sit down with the child or children and start asking a few questions.

“You know how you love to bring mommy and daddy gifts? You know how happy you make us? Did you know that your gifts mean nothing to me if you don’t immediately and cheerfully obey me?” God is the same way. He loves our gifts that we give cheerfully but they mean nothing to Him if we don’t obey His will? In fact, you might as well throw them in the trash… gifts mean nothing without obedience.”

My children get very serious and listen carefully as we continue to talk about God honoring obedience. We pray together and discuss how even as parents we must be watchful of our response to God and those He places in authority over us.

Dear Sisters, let me share with you about a real moment in my home years ago. The Lord opened my eyes to see my own error in this area. One day while I was helping the children in the house I kept asking my son to do this or that. Every time I asked him something he would reply, “Okay, just a minute.” By the end of the day I was quite exhausted with asking and always being told “just a minute.” I sat, late that night after the children had went to bed praying about it but didn’t feel any ‘answer’ to how the Lord would have me address the issue. The next day my Joe came home; as I sat nursing the baby, he called from the other room asking me if I would get something for him. Without thinking about it I replied, “Okay, just a minute.” Instantly, I realized that I had trained my children to respond to me like this because I had set the example by how I responded to their daddy. Later that day I shared the situation with my husband and we all talked as a family. I don’t ever remember saying or hearing those words since. It was a moment of training for Mommy as much as for the Children.

Teach your children the importance of immediate and cheerful obedience when they are little and continue all throughout their years. You won’t regret your efforts; for in due season you will reap what you have sown! Gal 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

May God be glorified!

Pro 21:3 To do justice and judgment is more acceptable to the LORD than sacrifice.

1Sa 15:22 And Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams.

Matthew 15: 21 But what think ye? A certain man had two sons; and he came to the first, and said, Son, go work today in my vineyard. He answered and said, I will not: but afterward he repented, and went. And he came to the second, and said likewise. And he answered and said, I go, sir: and went not. Whether of them twain did the will of his father? They say unto him, The first. Jesus saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you.

1 comment:

  1. I find my children repeating my responses and I don't like them! Food for thought today:-) Thanks you for sharing your life with us!

    Kelly C.

    ReplyDelete