Titus 2:3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; that they may teach the younger women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the Word of God be not blasphemed.




Monday, October 12, 2009

A Moment in M.O.M.'s Kitchen- My Favorite Flavors of Fall



I believe the treats of Autumn are simply delectable! I love to create a home that appeals to all the senses of my family and guests. This time of year, I indulge myself and purchase an Yankee Apple Spice candle to have burning all through the day. I don't wait for company to arrive to create this environment, it is my children and husband I want most to please! Baking is on the top of my 'to do' list each day. I am always searching for creative, inexpensive and yummy treats. A few of my favorite fall treats are: Caramel Popcorn, Caramel Apples with sprinkles, Hot Apple Cider, and Pumpkin bread. Not to mention the tummy warming meals of potato soup or chili with cornbread.  Today, I wanted to share just a few of my Favorite Flavors of Fall with you. Lord willing, I can come back and share more soon. If you have a Favorite Flavor of Fall you would like to share with me, I would love to hear from you! I hope you will make time to create a warm and inviting home while creating memories with those the Lord has entrusted to you. 
With much love, 
Mrs. Joseph Wood


Caramel Popcorn: 
Take a look at this post for the recipe my Joe has always made for our family: 


Caramel Apples:
12 apples (We like ours best when we pick them fresh from our trees)
2 bags of Soft Caramels (currently on sale at Dillons: 2 bags for 2 dollars)
4 Tbs of water
12 Popsicle sticks (mine come included in the soft caramels this time of year)
Fall colored sprinkles (I found these in the baking aisle as well as the ice cream section.)


Directions:
Wash your apples and place the popsicle sticks through each apple 
Unwrap each caramel and put in a pan over low eat. Add 4 Tbs of water and stir often until completely melted. Remember not to walk away and forget your caramels or get in too big of a hurry and turn the heat up- it can burn easily. Once the caramels are melted throughly, dip the top half of each apple coating it with caramel. Then quickly add the sprinkles so they stick. All there is to do next is enjoy! 


Hot Apple Cider:
This is our economical version of Hot Apple Cider. We get all the spices from The Bulk Herb Store I appreciate their quality and prices!
3 gallons of apple juice with no sugar added (currently on sale at Walmart for 1.69 a gallon)
5 Cinnamon Sticks 
2-3 Tbs Cloves 
2 Tbs. Dried Orange Peals
2 Tbs Allspice (found at your local grocery store)


Directions:
Heat over the stove on high till it begins to boil then turn the heat down and let it simmer. Serve warm to your family although I like mine best when it is hot and the steam is rising from my cup. Oh my... it is simply delicious! 



Pumpkin Bread: 
This recipe can be found at Cooks.com We use our own pumpkin when it is available. I have three pumpkins waiting for me as I type. 

LIBBY'S PUMPKIN BREAD


3 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. each nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon
1 1/2 c. each granulated sugar and packed brown sugar
1 c. oil
2 c. canned pumpkin
4 eggs
1 c. each raisins and nuts (optional)

Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. Add the sugars, mixing well.Mix dry ingredients with the oil and pumpkin, stirring until well combined.
Add eggs, one at a time, blending thoroughly. Pour into 2 greased and floured 9 1/2 x 5 1/4-inch loaf pans.
Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes or until tester comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes. Remove from pans. Place on wire rack to cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment