Titus 2:3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; that they may teach the younger women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the Word of God be not blasphemed.




Thursday, August 6, 2009

MOM'S Mailbox- Preparing our hearts to Homeschool

Hello Friends!

How is everyone? I pray that your homes are abounding in His blessings and your hearts are steadfast on His purpose! It's been awhile since I posted due to a transmitter going out on our Satellite. I have had many questions coming into my inbox and hope to share a variety of them with you here. Lord willing, I will be able to post devotion later today as well as some reviews on products our family has been enjoying!

First, let's answer some of these questions!



Question: "Jeanette, can you share what your family does for homeschooling?"



Answer:
Well, now that is a very BIG question in a very short sentence! :-) We have been homeschooling 'officially' for the last 17 years however, since we believe education begins at birth I think we should get full credit for last 21 years! Our homeschooling days have been a reflection of the transformation process that was, is, and continues, in my husband’s heart and mine. When we first started homeschooling we used the Weaver curriculum but soon discovered that the day to day outline wasn't what worked in our home. In some instances my son wasn't challenged by the day activities and in others he needed five days of instruction for what they had listed in one day. With prayer, the Lord taught me how to go to Him daily for my teaching plan. My heart was encouraged as I witnessed the fruit of my obedience. Throughout the years and with multiple learning styles, I have learned what works best for our family may not be the best in your home! However, I have posted some questions to consider as you create a homeschool to glorify God:



1. Have I presented my request to the Lord, waited for His answer and then obeyed His voice or have I got caught up in doing what others do?

2. Do I seek, and prefer, the wisdom of the Lord and my husband or do I seek reviews, friends, conferences, and the 'experts' for their opinion first?

3. If the Lord returned at this very moment would I be found teaching what would be eternal?

4. Do I keep my heart surrendered to His plan and not my schedule?

5. Have I learned to wait for Him to complete the good work He has begun in each member of the family or am I trying to force my timing?

6. Am I teaching my children diligently or am I being lazy in my efforts?

7. Am I steadfast and consistent in my training/teaching or do I waiver under adversity? Do I grow weary with the long journey?

8. Have I considered, prayed about and responded to the unique needs and talents of each child?

9. Am I living within the means of my blessings or am I buying things I 'think' we need but honestly can not afford?

10. Have I carefully chosen to do what was best for our family and not just 'signed up' for all the good activities, trips, and groups available?



Question: "How do you determine what is appropriate reading material for your family?"



Answer: This answer is a little easier for me to share. You may find however, that it isn't as clear as you need. If you have specific questions please email me and I will do my best to share details that can help you. For our family, we use Philippians 4:8 as our guide. If it is not pure, lovely and of a good report then it is highly unlikely that it is truly necessary in our home library.



Question: "What program do you use to help with Scripture memorization?"



Answer: We don't use any programs for Scripture memorization. We simply memorize chapters and books of the Bible using the KJV. I have encouraged the children to not only memorize verses but to memorize chapters and books so we can recall complete passages.



1 comment:

  1. Great list of questions to consider. I am about to homeschool for the first time this fall. My son went to preschool for the last two years and my daughter did preschool last year. But this year I will be homeschooling my son in kindergarten and my daughter in preschool. I'm a little nervous but also excited! I'm not sure what I have gotten myself into hehe!

    Also, as I hear my friends talking about their kids going to school soon - I know I made the right decision but it's hard to not consider the three hours a day, 5 days a week I could have as a "break". I hope I do not get envious! I know better of course - but there's this funny tug in my heart when my friends talk about their free time that I will not have. How do you deal with the "loss" of free time - oh I sound selfish even asking such a question - but it's real.

    Thanks for your example to me - I look forward to hearing more and following you as my Titus 2 Woman!!!!
    Courtney
    www.womenlivingwell-courtney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete