Titus 2:3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; that they may teach the younger women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the Word of God be not blasphemed.




Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Real Moments with M.O.M. - Tell me the story…

Psalm 30:4

Sing unto the LORD, O ye saints of his, and give thanks at the remembrance of his holiness.

Hello Friends!

Today is a very special day of remembrance for the Wood family. In our family, we have days of remembrance. Days when we recall a specific work that God has done in times past. We believe strongly that these days of remembrance are critical for our children to learn and pass onto their children. We must remember God’s faithfulness to the previous generations so we are strengthened in our current generation! Below you will find a recording I made to share Elisha’s story. I have also included Grandma Connie’s account of Elisha’s birth! We invite you to join us today as we celebrate the Faithfulness of God.

Listen to me recall the events that took place:

REMEMBERING THE FAITHFULNESS OF GOD ON MAY 17, 1993

 

From Grandma Connie (As she recalls the events of that season of life):

It was a beautiful spring day in California; excitement filled the room as women gathered to celebrate the expectation of birth.  The clothes line was strung with diapers and clothes pins; the party favors had been distributed and the games were well underway.  As I watched my daughter laugh and engage with the other women, I remember thinking how blessed we were to celebrate this moment. 

There had been difficult times in the previous months when we heard the news from the doctors that our baby boy had died; he could find no heart beat.  Deep regret filled my heart as I heard my daughter give me the doctor’s verdict.  He wanted her to have a clinical procedure that would remove the baby that he claimed was dead.  As I heard her unravel the accounts of the visit, she ended the conversation that she did not believe the doctor was right.  Even though she could not feel the baby move, even though the doctor could find no heart beat, she BELIEVED the child was alive.  Jeanette and Joe kept a vigil of prayer as did we all; and God spoke to them; and because of what He told them, Jeanette believed the child would be called Elisha and she prayed for a double portion for this child, just as the original Elisha had asked of Elijah, “I pray thee, let a double portion of thy spirit be upon me” (2Kings 2:8-10).

The next visit to the doctor revealed a heartbeat. I praised God for His unfailing love to us.  The months wore on and now we were celebrating the expected birth of the child within weeks.  The Shower was a success.  Baby boy clothes, toys and all the things necessary for a little one joining the family were received from our friends and family.

That night as I cleaned the room, I could still hear the laughter of the women and I could still feel the joy of the day’s celebration.

The next morning, we received a call that Jeanette was in labor; hurry to the hospital.  As I arrived at the hospital I saw the nurses wheeling my daughter down the hall, the scene was horrific, she was pale, the doctor calling out orders; the memory of his words still give me chills as I write about them, “HURRY, we’re going to lose both of them!”

“Lovest thou me?” Yes, LORD, I love you, but…”Lovest thou me?” Yes, LORD, but…”Lovest thou me?” Yes, Lord.  I sat for the next several minutes as I waited to see someone come from the delivery room, I dreaded, I prayed, I begged God to keep them alive.  God reminded me during those moments of all the times through my life and that of our family that He was and is now still Faithful!

What seemed to be hours upon end, we got the word that we could see our daughter and our grandson.  As we entered the room my daughter was trying desperately to see her child through the lingering anesthesia; as I looked through the plexi-glass enclosure, a still, small life was being transferred to a children’s hospital for expert neonatal care.

For weeks, we could only visit him through an outdoor window; we watched as he was attended by specialty nurses and physicians. We knew this child who was given life had a purpose.  Each day he survived gave him a better chance of survival.

The day came when we could bring him home.  Many things happened over the months that he lived in the hospitals; but the day of joy arrived when we brought him home.

Now, 18 years later, this young man stands as a testimony to God’s Faithfulness.  Elisha has been given a double portion of many blessings. His talents are still unfolding and we stand in amazement at the things He has learned and is learning.  His life is dedicated to God and He has an intimate relationship with his LORD.  Elisha is an example to many!  In fact, I would say that it is us, the family of Elisha that has received the double portion; we are the ones who have been given the blessing of this young man. 

I, the Grandmother of Elisha testify of these things, I have been doubly blessed by the gift of Elisha.  LORD, may he continue to grow in stature and wisdom; may he continue to lean upon you for his understanding; may he engage many with the truth of your Word and may he be a blessing to thousands upon thousands and he shares Your Faithfulness!  In Jesus’ name I pray, amen.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Thank you for sharing! What an amazing story of God's goodness and protection!

    We started a "Blessings Book" years ago to record how God has worked in our lives. I think we need to get it out again.

    ReplyDelete