Titus 2:3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; that they may teach the younger women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the Word of God be not blasphemed.




Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A Moment In Proverbs: Proverbs 18:14

Proverbs 18:14,
“The spirit of a man will sustain his infirmity; but a wounded spirit who can bear?

Do you know anyone who has fought cancer? Do you have friends who have succumbed to disease? Do you have family who are afflicted with physical handicaps? Do you live with an ailment that limits your productivity or abilities?  These things, the infirmities, are a part of life in this world.  They are not pleasant to bear but with the spirit trusting in God, we can bear them. Even in the most difficult trials of health, we can have joy in Christ for the work He will do in our lives and in the lives who hear our testimony.

I have been taught many lessons from brothers and sisters in the LORD who have endured trials that encouraged me and helped me get through my own struggles.  I thank God for those who testified of God’s faithfulness during their experience; it is through their testimony that I learned God sustains, strengthens and teaches His people in all areas of their life. I love how Matthew Henry’s Commentary says, “If the spirit of man will sustain the infirmity, much more will the spirit of a Christian, or rather the Spirit of God witnessing and working with our spirits in a day of trouble.”

I think of Paul in his testimony about his own ailment when he said, 2Corinthians 12:8-10, “I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. And he said unto me, ‘my grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.’ Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.”

Then we have those who are grieved in their spirit; they walk with a heavy burden.  You’ve seen the results of a crushed spirit; a person who has no hope, one who is in despair, one who sees no relief for their suffering.  They are bitter, apprehensive, indignant, emotionally disturbed; completely wounded and without the glimmer of hope for what they cannot bear.  These are the people who have lost their way.  They have put their trust in man or in their self.  They have not sought the power of God to work in and through them.  I am not speaking of those who are chronically depressed because of some chemical imbalance in their body; I am speaking to those who have not committed their way to the LORD.  Those who have rejected the Word as their guide, rejected the wooing of the Holy Spirit, rejected the Son of the Living God; these are the ones I speak of who suffer the journey alone and look for no resolve in Christ. When we put our trust in the LORD it is not a mask or remedy to undo the bad things that come into our lives, it is the power possessed to overcome the strangle hold of that which would crush our spirit without Him.

When we commit our ways unto the Lord, nothing will have the power to destroy the Spirit’s work within us and all of our thoughts will be established.

Prayer: Father, we know it is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. The LORD is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him. In Jesus’ name we pray, amen.

Abiding Still,

Connie Renfro ©

No comments:

Post a Comment