Titus 2:3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; that they may teach the younger women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the Word of God be not blasphemed.




Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A Moment with M.O.M.–Women’s Ministry

two-women-talking-on-benchI’ve often been asked what I think about Women’s Ministry, in fact several times recently. Please consider the author of this note and my heart behind the message. Remember, I am a Sinner working out my Salvation with fear and trembling, walking humbly before the Lord. I am NOT an “expert” or an “all knowing walking reference”. With that said, a deep breath, and long prayer… these are my thoughts:

I understand that our thinking can be easily distorted by the climate we live in. Therefore, we must carefully and attentively go to the Scriptures to hear what God says about each subject of life. Women’s Ministry, as I understand it through my study of the Scriptures, “It is the personal investment a woman makes into the life of another woman for the advancement of the Kingdom.” Throughout the Scriptures we have countless examples of women investing in the lives of other women for the glory of God. Consider: Elisabeth and Mary, Ruth and Naomi, as well as the “older woman to the younger woman”. Clearly women were/are effective in the advancement of the Gospel as they fulfilled their God ordained position as a woman. Women did not preach as commanded in Scripture (I believe this commandment is still valid today) rather, it was by their acts of charity and hospitality that the Gospel was advanced. We would be wise if we took the time to PERSONALLY INVEST in the lives of other women that God brings across our paths. I believe that Women’s Ministry has been clearly laid out for EACH OF US in Titus 2: 3-5 . Let’s take a look at that all too familiar passage… taking time to really read it and consider it’s practical application!

Titus 2:3-5 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; that they may teach the younger women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands that the Word of God be not blasphemed.

In this chapter Titus is setting out the establishment of government for believers. He first talks to the men and then directs his attention to women and their role in this Biblical order. Let’s take a look at the very first words, “the aged women”. The term actually means; Old, aged, lived long.  Yet, so many of these “aged women” have neglected the post to teach the younger. Just as disappointing I have seen women fail to invest in the lives of others because they aren’t “old” enough. However, in our home we believe that even our daughters can minister to the ‘younger’ women that God brings across their paths in this Biblical format of government. As we grow in age we should also grow in the realization of Gods grace. This transformation should inspire us to minister to those that are “younger” in years of walking in that grace!

πρεσβύτις
presbutis
pres-boo'-tis
Feminine of G4246; an old woman: - aged woman.

Take a look at the next comment, “that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness”. This is always bringing me to my knees in prayer. My behaviour, does it reflect holiness? What a high calling each of us as women have!

“Not false accusers” I see this as an easy pit for women to fall into. Not simply the act of gossip or slander, but the pit of ‘stirring the pot’ of conflict! As Titus 2 women we should refrain from slander, arguing and gossip (or as some put it… “ the sharing of their thoughts about another person or persons actions”). I often tell my daughters, “Don’t’ get caught up in telling people or even hinting to people what you may think of someone else. Instead always let your conversation be seasoned with grace and your lips be the residence of kindness” Don’t ever become so ‘comfortable' with another person that you feel the freedom to ‘speak freely'. It is my prayer that when people speak of me they speak of the kindness and the grace that I daily strive to show toward others. Not for my glory but because it directed their attention to HIS glory!

“Not given to much wine” As Titus 2 women we don’t get caught up in the parties of our society where “much wine” is in practice and we surely do not partake in “much wine”. 

“teachers of good things” I love this part of the passage because it reminds me of my duty to live in such a way that it teaches good things! That each time I talk, blog or Facebook it is a deliberate action to “teach good things”! What are those “good things”? Well, if we continue reading we can see exactly what they are!

By the grace of God, my careful attention to behave as “becometh holiness” in doing all the above  will teach the younger to be sober, love their husbands, love their children, discreet, chaste, keepers at home, and obedient to their own husbands. If the younger are to learn these things, I am first required to teach these things, and to honestly teach these things I must be living these things!

In my opinion, Women’s Ministry isn’t something that is done in a conference hall in front of thousands of women. It isn’t a mountain top experience for the weekend. Real Biblical Women’s Ministry is the day in and day out living of Godly women who personally invest in the lives of others without any other motive than to see the Kingdom of God advance!  We don’t pick and chose who we minister too. Who I share with and when I share is all part of God’s plan, not mine! I have found so much peace and freedom in this realization. God is Sovereign! There are no accidents; He sets people in place for HIS purpose!

So… there you have it dear friend! Those are my thoughts on Women’s Ministry!

With much love,

Mrs. Joseph Wood

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this post! Thank you. The women at my church are getting ready to go for their weekend women's retreat on Friday. I've been to one before (when my youngest was only a few months old and went with me) and, though I've wanted to go again, haven't felt that my place was to leave my family to go be encouraged. What a great reminder to us that our ministry is in the home... not in meetings at church.

    So much ministry can be done from our homes!

    Thank you for the grace filled reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. amen! Great post.

    ReplyDelete