Titus 2:3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; that they may teach the younger women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the Word of God be not blasphemed.




Thursday, February 10, 2011

A Moment in Proverbs- Proverbs 10:7 Leaving a Legacy

Proverbs 10:7, “The memory of the just is blessed: but the name of the wicked shall rot.”

Reflecting on legacies in my life today, this passage gives me pause to think of what they left behind.  You see, no matter if you are a righteous person or a wicked person, you will one day die.  How will you be remembered; or will you be remembered?

Think of those who made the biggest impact on your physical life and spiritual walk.  What was it about their lives that you think on when the LORD brings them to mind?  Let me share the blessings of a couple who have impacted my life.  Let me first say, they were human and yes, sinners, not perfect, but forgiven by the same LORD and Jesus Christ that saved me.  When I think of my grandmother, I think on how she raised me as her daughter and I am grateful for all that I learned at her knee and at her kitchen table where we spent many weekends together talking about life, future plans and God’s mercy.  When she died, it was a release from her suffering and even though I missed her I knew she was where she wanted to be; in the arms of the LORD.  My grandfather was a man of few words, but he loved the LORD. He gave me a strong foundation and loved me with discipline and a gentle hand. When he died, the loss was great, but again, he was released from suffering and now resides with our LORD.  When I think of him, I remember his laugh, his good name, and his love for me. 

These are only two of the people in my life that have left a legacy that points back to God.  Those who brought harm, those who brought neglect and those who were not saved have no memory to survive them.  Good men are spoken well of; that is their blessing; but those who are unjust will be forgotten.

A good name is like precious ointment (Ecclesiastes 7:1).  Those who honor God will be honored through our memories and by the legacies they left behind (see Psalms 112:3; 112: 6 and 112:9).  It’s the faith and the endurance under trials that we can point to when we remember their names (see Hebrews 11:2).  By their example we learned how their faith carried them through and by their example our faith began to grow.

How many of you have spiritual mentors who are building a legacy with you now?  How many of those spiritual warriors have gone home to be with the LORD.  How do you remember them, I’m sure with honor and I’m sure with joy as you reflect on their impact upon your life. How many of you are building your own legacy with other men or women; with your children; with the families and children of your community; and with your own families?  Consider how your name will be remembered when you are resting with the LORD, what legacy will you leave?

Prayer:  LORD, we give you honor and glory this day and we remember those who have impacted our lives for your kingdom.  Thank you for the Sunday School Teacher who taught us truth.  Thank you for the grandparents and parents who whispered your precious words into our hearts.  Thank you for the friends who ministered to us in our hours of need.  Thank you for the mentors you put into our lives.  Thank you for the pastors who speak truth and minster to the congregations of your people.  LORD, create in us a desire to leave a legacy of hope, love and joy.  Help us to create memories that are purposeful and powerful.  Father, so many of your saints have already come to your arms and we praise you for their journey. Thank you that they were an example to us! We praise you for all you’ve placed in our lives.  In Jesus’ name we pray, amen.

Abiding Still,

Connie Renfro ©

1 comment:

  1. Precious words and so true. I pray that I leave a legacy to my children that points back to HIM!

    ReplyDelete