Titus 2:3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; that they may teach the younger women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the Word of God be not blasphemed.




Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Moment in Proverbs- Proverbs 25: 4-5 Refined for the Banner

Proverbs 25:4-5, “Take away the dross from the silver, and there shall come forth a vessel for the finer. Take away the wicked from before the king, and his throne shall be established in righteousness.”

We all have areas in our walk and relationships that need refining and God is faithful to continue to refine us as he said in Isaiah, 48:10, “Behold, I have refined thee, but not with silver; I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction.” And by His refining, we are being established.  Our walk is ever present before Him nothing is hidden; He knows what areas need working on and the work He does in my life may or may not be the same work He does in yours.  But each of us are having the dross removed from our hearts; each of us are being perfected to reflect the face of our LORD. 

Years ago as I studied upon His Word, He gave me this poem.  It has become a favorite of mine as I see others who have gone through things that I felt I could not and they have become so beautiful before the LORD.  And this poem reminds me that the work He is doing in each of our lives is “personal work”.  He doesn’t want robots, He wants our hearts. 

Refined for the Banner

I stood admiring a vessel of gold when it came to life and spoke so bold. "Why is it that you gaze upon me?" My reply, "your beauty is a lovely sight to see." The vessel replied, "Don't forget what I've been through, I started out just like you.  The master took me from the ground, shaped me & tried me till no dross was found.  The tempest was a fiery furnace of affliction; till at last I became a vessel with a vision.  He saw an ornate vessel of Gold in me, so he molded and fired until I am what you see.  I asked, "Was it painful to be tried in this way, were there times you cried when you saw a new day?" With softness in his voice he replied, "Oh, yes, I've had a very rough time, but the master cut gently every line.  Notice not one cuts all the way through; and each little scar is polished like new.  My master wanted me as his best display and I am his vessel that was once only clay.  Remember my friend as you gaze upon me.  The master is gently working with thee.  You admire my shining vessel that's true, but I admire the work yet unfinished in you. 

Prayer:   LORD, help us to remember that the trial of our faith is much more precious than of gold that perishes.  And even though we might feel we are tried with fire; it is our prayer that we might be found glorifying you. LORD you are close to all who are broken hearted and facing afflictions and you deliver us if our hearts seek after you.  God continue to remind us through your Word that your presence and love is wherever we are; we can never escape your watchful spirit; we can never get away from your presence!  If we go up to heaven, you are there; if we go down to the grave, you are there.  If we ride the wings of the morning, if we dwell by the farthest oceans, even there your hand will guide us and your strength will support us.  Even if we ask the darkness hide us, you will find us.  Your love is beyond our understanding and your Spirit is drawing us closer each day as we submit to your will.  So, LORD, as we enter this new day, help us release the dross in our hearts and help us to establish our lives in righteous living before you.  We pray in Jesus’ name, amen.

Abiding Still,

Connie Renfro ©

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this. What a beautiful reminder <3

    ReplyDelete