Titus 2:3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; that they may teach the younger women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the Word of God be not blasphemed.




Thursday, December 30, 2010

A Moment with M.O.M.- My Favorite Memories with My Parents Visit

Good Evening Friends!

My visit with my parents here in KS was delightful! We enjoyed sharing the Word each morning through our family devotions, singing hymns together, laughing, sewing, chatting and working along side each other through the day. Having mom here was a treat. I was able to talk my thoughts through on many issues and hear what she was seeing in the home as well. What fun it was to watch the football games with my father! He loves to watch the game and I have learned to love watching it because it means I get to spend time with him! I have to tell you about a couple of highlights from their visit.

After or before our Bible study each day we each stand up and present the passage of Scripture that we are currently working on. As a family, we each memorize chapters and even books of the Bible. It is easy to forget what we have committed to memory if we don’t keep reciting them. Therefore, we present our passage before the family each morning. On this one morning my father had fallen to sleep in his chair listening to the children recite all their chapters. However, when I got up in front of the family to present my passages he sat up in his chair right away. Without anyone saying a word to him, he immediately woke himself up and watched me, listening ever so carefully as I shared. I later shared with my mother and Joe how much that meant to me. To see that even at my age my father still delights in hearing what his little girl has to say.  Even at my age, I delight in seeing that my daddy delights in me!! What a precious gift that moment was to me. I know my parents love me. I don’t question that at all yet, these small moments, the little things they do, along with all the HUGE things constantly remind me that they love me just because I’m me. It is a gift I hope to pass down to my children as well.

Another highlight was one of the gifts I received from my mother. On their last visit Momma had given me a collection of her poems and Bible studies that she had written years before. She had them put into a book format that is simply lovely! However, this Christmas I received one of the best gifts I could have ever wished for! Momma gave me the old tattered binder that includes all the poems and studies she titled, A Banner of Love. These are her originals, in her own handwriting, dated, with all her marks and notes included. What a gift!!! They are poems that I remember her writing and reading to me as a child. Studies I remember her discussing, and a book I have often thumbed through just because it “felt” good to do so. These pages hold the heart notes of  my momma. It’s a book I could sit over for hours reading no matter how many times I had done it before. It is a precious gift!

Being a busy momma to ten children and a wife that manages all the paperwork for her husbands business, life can get crazy. Did I say crazy? I meant CRAZY!!! I can get so caught up in tasks that I forget about stopping to enjoy the ministry! Having this visual reminder of my father sitting up to listen intently as I recited several chapters from Psalms was not only encouraging but also convicting. Holding a work of years and years that came from my mothers heart as her relationship with God developed was not only inspiring but challenging! Each of these special memories caused me to take some extra time in prayer asking myself if I am doing the important things in life. “Do I stop and give my children all my attention at the most important moments?” “Do I try to ‘fit’ them into my schedule or do I wake every day to minister to them by God’s grace?”  These are just a few of the questions I pondered and prayerfully asked myself. I am sure God and I will be discussing this topic more. I can feel that He is leading me to grow in some areas and show me I can do better. Precious memories were created this Christmas; they will be forever cherished!!!

Blessings.. many blessings… abound in my heart and home! May you discover all His blessings abounding in your lives as well!

With much Love,

Mrs. Joseph Wood

1 comment: