Titus 2:3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; that they may teach the younger women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the Word of God be not blasphemed.




Thursday, June 17, 2010

M.O.M’s Mailbox- Trouble with my teenage boy

mom praying Question: I have a teenager son. I am a single mom who tried to raise up my son with Biblical values and a solid foundation of God's love. I know how difficult teenage boys can be but when I read your blog I feel so bad because I can not any longer be the loving mother I once was to a boy who treats me with disrespect and disobedience. He gets nothing for his behavior except my disappointed responses. He says he is gone all the time because I am so terrible. Granted I am angry at him because he doesn't follow anything I ask of him. We have drifted apart. My once love of my life is now my biggest heart ache. I pray for him and give my sorrow over to God to give me strength to get through this time of his life. I'm afraid I might lose him to the evil one if I haven't already. Sometimes he behaves like he loves the Lord still but 80% of the time he acts like someone else raised him, like his absent father. If anyone is struggling with these same issues maybe we could pray for each other and remember to have a grateful heart, being a loving person, but not accepting the disrespect but praying and asking for... I don't know anymore. What kind of behavior is a fatherless son who has been raised in love but has strayed from the foundation be expected to behave?? Does this make sense!!

Answer:  Dear Anonymous, first of all, I want to tell you that there is Hope. I was much like your son that you describe  and today I have a beautiful relationship with my parents and the Lord. Satan has come to steal, kill and destroy but God came to give us life and give it to us more abundantly. Hold onto His promises. Do not grow weary in well doing! You can speak with love and win your sons heart as he sees you walk out your faith on a daily basis! Wake each day expecting to see God’s goodness manifested in your sons life and your home. God can restore what the locus have eaten! I know this to be true!

You asked, “What kind of behavior is a fatherless son who has been raised in love but has strayed from the foundation be expected to behave?” It is so hard for us as mothers to see our children doing things we know are worthless, unproductive and even harmful to themselves. At the same time we must realize that we can’t change others. We can only control our own actions! I encourage you to devote a certain time in your day in prayer for your son. This battle for your son is real and can only be won on your knees in prayer! Then, put your faith into action and ask the Lord for creative ideas on how to win his heart. Pray for courage to be consistent, and patience as He works in your sons life. Don’t settle for compromise! Don’t give in on good days or give up on the bad days'; wake each day dressed for battle and walk in faith! Be obedient to do what God calls you to do and leave the results with Him.

I am honored to pray for you and look forward to hearing from you more!

With much love,

Mrs. Joseph Wood

2 comments:

  1. OMGoodness!!! I'm not sure who "Anonymous" is, but I wanted to let her know that she is not alone! Reading her letter to you was as if she reading MY story. I truly appreciate her sharing as it told me I wasn't alone, but also your response! I would love to be her prayer partner for OUR stong willed boys. I am no longer a single parent, but for many years I was...and my son does NOT look to my husband as anything other than "one of the guys". No father-figure looking up to here.

    Again, if Anonymous is reading this, please email me at renelatting@yahoo.com.

    I will be praying for her!

    René

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rene, thank you for your offer to connect with this reader. I am sure it is a blessing to her. I hope you two can connect and would love to hear the story as the Lord answers prayers!
    May all His blessings abound in your heart and home... all for HIS glory.
    Mrs. Joseph Wood

    ReplyDelete