Titus 2:3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; that they may teach the younger women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the Word of God be not blasphemed.




Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A Moment In Proverbs: 1:5

Proverbs 1:5,
“A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels”

A wise man will hear.  Proverbs consistently tells us to “hear”, “listen”, “obey”, “give ear to my instruction.” And a wise may will, but the foolish think in their own heart that they know best, they need not pay attention to warnings or good advice.  The wise grow wiser when they listen, the foolish would do likewise if they would open their hearts and ears.

I remember teachers who said, “you can never learn too much”, of course they were talking about school subjects but as I’m older, I like to think the same about God’s Word.  The wondrous thing about His Word is that it is appropriate for every moment, it nourishes and it provides what we need as we apply it to our hearts.

God’s Word tells us in Daniel 12:3-5, that in the last days knowledge will increase and as we see evidence of that today, which of us are not marveled at the knowledge at our fingertips through the internet and other electronic devices…but beware, the passage does not say God’s Word will increase.  Sadly, our knowledge of God’s Word and the wisdom that lies within seems to be fading.  People are no longer memorizing His Word and children can no longer recite the scriptures I learned as a child at the hand of my grandmother and Sunday School Teacher.  Truly, worldly knowledge has increased, but our knowledge of Wisdom from God’s Word has not.

In Acts 2:16-18, God speaks of pouring His Spirit upon all people, so that the daughters will prophesy, young men will see visions, old men will dream dreams.  Let us call upon the LORD for His Word; Let us marvel at the Wisdom within, Let us lean closer to our LORD and receive His knowledge into our hearts and minds.

Prayer:  LORD thou hast searched me, and known me. Thou knowest my down sitting and mine uprising, thou understand my thought afar off. Thou compasses my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways. For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether. Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it. Whither shall I go from thy spirit? Or whither shall I flee from thy presence? If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there. If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. Thank you for your Word and the knowledge and wisdom you offer to your beloved.  In Jesus’ name we pray, amen.

Abiding Still,

Connie Renfro ©

No comments:

Post a Comment